Staying Healthy During COVID-19
Turner Group put their heads together to come up with these six tips for staying active and healthy while working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Snacks, did someone say snacks? COVID-19 has driven many of us away from the gym and right into the arms of our refrigerators. Consequently, one of the burdens we all share from the pandemic are the extra pounds around our waistline.
Now that the vaccinations have begun, we can see light at the end of the tunnel, however, we are not there yet. The desire to live a healthier, active life while working from home is challenged by the closing of gyms and other sports facilities.
So, how do we adapt to this new normal? One of the best things we can do for both our physical and mental health when working from home is to stay active by working out. While we may have to do it at home, the good news is many of the tips we have learned about working from home can also apply to working out at home.
The Turner Group employees put their heads together and came up with these six tips for staying active at home.
- Dress for Success– By this point we know the importance of not wearing our PJs at the home office, but many people don’t apply this to working out. There are health benefits of wearing the appropriate activewear. You’re also more likely to get your workout done if you’ve changed into clothes JUST for that purpose.
- Create a Dedicated Work(out) space– Creating a separate space to work helps get you into “work mode” as well as prevent distractions. This is also true for a home exercise space! This doesn’t mean you have to stock it full of weights and cardio equipment. Placing a yoga mat out can create a space that will allow you to focus on your workout.
- Do not Disturb– Letting those around you know you aren’t to be disturbed while you are at work is obvious – we need to apply the same rules to our workouts! One quick disturbance could be all it takes to change what was a great workout into a mediocre one.
- Set a Schedule– Just like setting working hours, having a dedicated time for exercising is important. If you don’t have the time scheduled to work out, your time will get filled with other things.
- Connect– Working from home can be isolating and working out on your own can make staying motivated challenging. It’s important to have others that can push you and hold you accountable. Just having a friend on a similar path to compete with can create the motivation you need to push a little harder.
- Make it Personal– These are some ideas of things you can do, but the best advice is to find what works for you and stick to it. There are hundreds of free workouts streaming on YouTube, Twitch or even Instagram – try a few and stick with something FUN that you can’t wait to do again.
What have you been doing to stay active during COVID-19? Do you think the changes you’ve made to your workout regime will be permanent after you’ve been vaccinated? Let us know – after you’ve scheduled your next workout in your calendar! We may see a challenge coming soon.